- Full Time
- Mid Level
Apply your frontend development passion to socially-minded causes
As a Frontend Developer at Kalamuna, you’ll be responsible for helping chart the course of Kalamuna’s frontend practice in coordination with development leadership. Your solutions will consider our UX design goals, which are user-centered and collaborative. You’ll help ensure we have strong, standardized approaches to the problems that deserve them, and generally have an eye towards the future.
You’ll also work on client projects. This could mean hand-crafting a static site based on Figma files and Zeplin outputs, creating a living styleguide and prototype with component-based design, or developing in the CMS – primarily Drupal and sometimes WordPress. In the CMS you’ll focus on themes, subthemes, and component architectures, but also sometimes code-sharing in complex brand ecosystems, decoupled applications, and more.
We offer full-time permanent remote positions for those based in Canada and the United States.
Candidates for this remote position must reside in the US or Canada. If you’re a recruiter or agency, please don’t contact us.
- 3+ years agency experience
- A desire to work with mission-driven institutions like nonprofits, universities, museums, and civic organizations
- Excellent communication for both internal and client-facing communications.
- Mastery of web standards and best practices, particularly the ability to leverage templating languages like Twig to write meaningful, semantic HTML that responds across devices and breakpoints, degrades gracefully, and meets (or exceeds) the latest accessibility guidelines.
- Though we very often roll our own, frontend frameworks help us not reinvent the wheel, and save time. You should know when and where to use modern frameworks like Bootstrap and Material Design as a baseline.
- Comfort with Drupal 8/9 and a desire to learn more; expertise desired.
- Comfort with modern development practices, build tools, and package managers.
- Stylesheet mastery in CSS3 including flexbox, grids, and the rest of the goodies. DRY principles. SASS structures that honor reusable component architectures.
- Git and version control best practices
- Familiarity with Variable Fonts and advanced media queries
- Agile methodologies, Scrum, and issue tracking tools like JIRA
You Might Also Know About
- SVG and CSS3 animation
- Visual design
- User Experience design
- Information architecture
- Mapping and data visualization
Working With Us
People are at the ♥ of everything we do.
Kalamuna is driven by a civic spirit to help socially impactful institutions, nonprofits, and governments better communicate with constituents and do right by the people they serve. We bring digital communications to life for organizations as varied as Fair Trade USA, GreenBiz, the American Foundation for the Blind, the Environmental Defence Fund, the Smithsonian, UC Berkeley, Stanford, and the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco.
Kalamuna’s mission is to empower our clients with the research, strategy, design, and technology that will transform their organizations to better serve the needs of their audiences and communities. Kalamuna aligns itself in this manner to make each of our client’s missions our mission. We seek to be impactful, not only for our clients and partners but for the social good of our communities.
We’re committed to your excellence and continued development; we’re in this together. Kalamuna offers many benefits, including paid holidays, PTO, paid bereavement leave, parental leave, health insurance, long and short-term disability, a continued learning & travel stipend, an equipment fund, and retirement funds with 3% match. We offer flexibility in work hours and accomodations. When pandemic-free, we organize company-wide gatherings like team building workshops, conferencing, and additional fun.
We’re looking for individuals with a broad range of interests and experiences to be their authentic selves. Your story, your passion is what interests us most. Meet some of our team at https://youtu.be/K1rtt6oKGEs.
Commitment to Diversity
Kalamuna is committed to eradicating institutional discrimination and bias and to uplifting the lived experiences of all minorities.
As such, Kalamuna welcomes applications from all backgrounds, particularly from people of color; women; LGBTQ2S+ people; immigrants or refugees; people who are differently-abled; and people from low- or moderate-income backgrounds. Kalamuna is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, disability status, veteran status, military obligations, marital status and policy party affiliation, or on any other basis that complies with applicable laws.
If you’re a recruiter or agency, please don’t contact us. No exceptions.